The original Laphroaig, distilled the same way today as when Ian Hunter invented it over 75 years ago.
In making Laphroaig, malted barley is dried over a peat fire. The smoke from this peat, found only on Islay, gives Laphroaig its particularly rich flavour.
Those enjoying the 10 Year Old will first notice the bold, smoky taste, followed by a hint of seaweed and a surprising sweetness. This full-bodied variant is the foundation of all Laphroaig expressions and comes with a long finish.
Distilled in the remote Islay island, Laphroaig is the finest Scottish whisky in the world.
Laphroaig (La-froyg) is the story of a community. An uncompromising, tough and determined group of people who work to ensure that this defining whisky has always remained true to its origins.
These origins can be found in Islay itself – its harsh climate and tough landscape have created a hardy people whose single-mindedness and honesty is as distinctive as Laphroaig.
Laphroaig is distilled with water from the Kilbride Dam. Its characteristic distillation process has made it one of the top 5 sold whiskies in the world.
Drawing of the Jhonston granary
|Region Produced in||Islay|
|Cask||American ex-Bourbon casks, Spanish ex-Jerez casks|
|Tasting Notes||Colour: Full sparkling gold|
Nariz: Huge smoke, seaweedy, "medicinal", with a hint of sweetness
BODY: Full bodied
PALATE: Suprising sweetness with hints of salt and layers of peatiness
- 2013 SF World Spirits Competition ľ Double Gold Medal
- 2013 International Wine & Spirit Competition ľ Silver Medal
- 2013 International Spirits Challenge ľ Silver Medal
- 2011 SF World Spirits Competition - Double Gold medal
- 2010 International Wine & Spirit Competition ľ Silver Medal
- 2010 SF World Spirits Competition - Double Gold medal
- 2009 SF World Spirits Competition - Gold medal
- 2008 IWSC - Silver Medal and 'Best in Class'
- 2008 SF World Spirits Competition - Gold medal
- 2007 International Wine and spirits Competition - Gold (Best in Class)
- 2007 ISC (International Spirits Challenge) - Gold medal
- 2007 International Review of Spirits (BTI) - Silver medal
- 2007 San Francisco World Spirits Competition - Gold medal
- 2006 International Wine and spirits Competition, Gold, Best in Class
- 2006 San Francisco World Spirits Competition - Double-Gold award
- 2005 Malt Maniacs Awards - Silver Medal "A peat monster that takes no prisoners"
- 2005 IWSC - Silver Medal and 'Best in Class'
- 2004 International Spirits Challenge - Silver Medal
- 2003 International Spirits Challenge - Silver Medal
- 2003 International Spirits Challenge- Gold Medal
- 2001 International Spirits Challenge - Gold Medal
- 2000 International Spirits Challenge - Gold Medal
- 2000 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Gold Medal
- 1999 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Gold Medal
- 1998 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Best Single Malt Scotch Whisky under 12 Years Old
- 1998 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Gold Medal
|Storage Instructions||Cool and dry conditions|
|Manufacturer/Producer||D. Johnston & CO.|
|Country Produced in||U.K.|
|70 CL Proportion EUR||31.46|