Rubbens gin distillery was founded in 1817 in Zale, East Flanders, the birthplace of Juniper. The distillery was initially a farm, but later was used to burn juniper and turn it into a base for grain and malt.
In 1872, under the leadership of Charles Rubbens, new buildings were constructed next to the existing hearth. The agricultural side of the business slowly dwindled and resources were used to buy large quantities of grain to create gin. In 1911, the distillery was passed to two brothers Jean y Rubbens Benoit.
The business started to produce gin with its system known as 'gin-Vieux'. The production line was expanded and therefore production rose considerably.
A short time after the business had to face two downfalls: the demand of copper during the war and the 1920 law 14a-18va Vandervelde. The business recovered during 1925-1940, with a strong expansion of gin sales.
During World War II the rationing of sugar was a problem and the business could only produce a small amount of alcohol.
After World War II the business was run by Rubbens and Martha Isabel, the daughter Jean Rubbens. From the origins of the Rubbens distillery came a gin with a smooth flavour. Rubbens is also a member of the "Beautiful East Flanders, an organization that promotes the quality of Flanders products.
Rubben's Gin with Passion Fruit
During the distillation process passion fruit is added to Rubbens gin to create a smooth flavour.
Size: 1 Litre
Alcohol Content: 22%Vol.