The history of Destilerias Unidas S.A.C goes back to April 29th of 1929, date in which the operations of Cartavio Rum Plant started. The plant was founded by the Cartavio Sugar Co., which was owned by W.R. Grace & Co.
In October of 1968, as part of the agricultural reform, the Peruvian State took over the plant operations. Ten years later, January 1978, the same Peruvian State creates Sociedad Paramonga Limited Company, merging Cartavio S.A., Compania Papelera Trujillo S.A. and Envases San Marti S.A., companies previously owned by Grace & Co., and this way took control of the Cartavio Rum plant.
In April 1994, a historical event took place when the Latin-American Developing Company enters the privatization process of the public companies of the Peruvian State and acquires Plantas Quimicas and Sociedad Paramonga Ltda. S.A., and for its administration creates Industrial Cartavio S.A. , which operates under this denomination until March 2001. Then, it changed its trade name to Destilerias Unidas S.A.C.
Cartavio owns modern facilities in order to offer the international market high quality and renowned products. Apart from the plant in Trujillo (North of Lima), now has acquired a new operations facility in Aruba, from where it will continue supplying and satisfying the new demanding customer requirements around the world.